Tuesday, February 26, 2013

And - we're back!

Woozy with jetlag, I am back in the driver's seat after our travels. Our trip was successful and joyous, though exhausting (traveling widely with a hyper-active 16 month old whilst 7 months pregnant is not generally advisable, especially when said travel involves 6 flights, a train and a snowstorm over a relatively short space of time). Some of the happiest moments for me (other than seeing friends and family, of course) involved bookshops. Chapters in Toronto; Barnes &Noble in Denver; Boulder Bookstore in Boulder; Vashon Bookstore on Vashon Island in Seattle; and the glorious Powell's Books in Portland.

So what did I buy?


Two Curious George books for my son, whose favourite TV show is Curious George, in an attempt to woo him towards reading about the little monkey instead;

The Paper Bag Princess, for our soon-to-be-born daughter;

A beautiful book called Wherever You Are, My Love Will Find You - for both children (thanks to my sister-in-law for finding this).

And for me:
  • a gorgeous autographed copy of A Hologram for the King by Dave Eggers;
  • the imperfectionists, by Tom Rachman, which I am reading now and loving;
  • The Paris Wife by Paula McLain  - this book about Hemingway's love affair with his first wife has been recommended to me by a trusted friend;
  • A Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka - had never heard of it but it was prominently displayed and looks intriguing;
  • Home by Toni Morrison - I love her writing and this new volume is already receiving accolades;
  • Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan - I read this on the trip, review to follow soon;
  • Portlandia, a Visitor's Guide - to share with Bibliohubby, because we love the show and love to laugh together, and to commemorate our first visit to Portland, which was inspired by the show;
  • The Red Notebook by Paul Auster - a tiny volume of true stories by my favourite author (not pictured)
  • a hard copy of The Housekeeper and the Professor - after e-reading it I wanted a copy for my shelf;
  • a hard copy of Tinkers by Paul Harding - ditto (not pictured);
  • a new edition of State of Wonder by Ann Patchett - it's so beautiful, with rough pages, I had to get it;
  • a new edition of The Disappeared by Kim Echlin - ditto, and I promise to give my old copy away to a friend who spent several months in Cambodia.
I may also have a shipment due from Powell's Books... maybe. The shipping costs were so reasonable!

All in all, I think I did well. I have come back feeling refreshed and inspired, having discovered new writers and done more reading than I thought I would fit in on our hectic travels. But I am still looking for a new e-reader, which I thought I would purchase on this trip, but didn't after I discovered the prices in North America are really no different to Australia.

And given the proliferation of e-books and e-reading, which is so much more practical when one travels, hampered by luggage and weight restrictions, I'm curious: do you buy books when you're traveling, eschewing practicality as I have clearly done, or do you stick to e-books?

No comments:

Post a Comment