Thursday, March 7, 2013

Where in the World is... Your Comfy Reading Spot?


This month's Where in the World Are You Reading? was hosted by Kelly, here. Unfortunately I was running a little bit late to enter this one officially, but I thought I would post about it anyway.

Like almost everyone else, I love to read in bed, and will try to seize a few moments each night to read there before sleep knocks me out. But my other favourite comfy place is this beautiful leather chair, currently located in my study at home:


My parents gave me the chair as a congratulatory gift when I graduated from high school. It was custom-made in England and then flown to Munich, which is where I grew up. Since then, it has come with me wherever I've moved, so it dominated the small spaces I had to myself in residence at University in Ontario, where I did my undergraduate degrees. It dignified the otherwise rather uninteresting space that was my first solo apartment in Alberta, while I was doing my Masters. And it has moved from home to home with me in Sydney. Whilst sitting in this chair I have studied for countless exams - in psychology, philosophy, history, English, sociology, anthropology and law; I have researched endless essays in the aforementioned subject matters; and I have read a huge amount of fiction.

Our family is spread all over the world, but when I sit in this chair, no matter how far I am from my parents, I feel like they are right here surrounding me with their love. This chair is like a giant hug.

What is your favourite comfy place to read?

5 comments:

  1. When I was a little girl, it was in a tree...my neighbour's tree was planted too close to his house, so the limbs grew parallel to the ground...one for my bum and one on which to lean my elbows. The bark was worn in my favourite seat, and now, 30 years later, all that remains are some chainsaw shavings; after he died, his house was demolished and the tree cut down to create an empty lot.
    Now, the bathtub seems to be the only private place I can find to read...locked door, kids all asleep! But reading under a duvet on a sunny afternoon remains my favourite place to read.
    My mother once said that as a little girl, "No one could get into bed with a book and a cat" faster than I could. I'm still like that, given half a chance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well,I could just copy and paste Knitty Gritty's comment word for word, except for the last part. Now it is MY daughter (her godchild) who escapes any chores to get into bed with her book and her cat!
    My favourite place is my sunroom. We have an old leather loveseat that just envelopes you when you sit down. I bring tea or glass of wine, depending, and cover myself in a cotton throw. A whole afternoon could disappear in this manner if I let it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knitty Gritty, I love the sound of that tree! What a pity it was cut down, I hope you have a photo of it somewhere. I wish I had a bathtub to read in. I love my baths but all we have is a shower - something to be rectified in our next place, for sure - I have told Bibliohubby it is a priority! Every time we stay in a hotel I linger in the bathtub with a book, it's such a luxury.

    Lana, that sunroom sounds divine. Don't we all wish for more afternoons filled purely with reading and comfort and cups of tea! I love that your daughter is carrying on the family tradition. I am about to give birth to our first baby girl and I really hope that she grows up sharing my love of books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore this post Nikki! I didn't realize that you had lived all over the world, especially in Ontario where I grew up as a kiddo (suburbs of Toronto). The chair looks amazingly comfortable and it also has such a "bookish" look to it as well.

    Don't worry about being late--I know you were traveling last month. But I'd love if you showed us some bookishness around your area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trish! I can't believe you grew up near Toronto! That's where my Dad's family is from.

      I will definitely share some bookishness around Sydney this month - a great excuse to take the camera out!

      Delete